Yesterday morning was picture perfect at the Florida Sea Base and all programming was proceeding per usual.  But right at lunch, the rain came.  It only lasted about an hour and a half, but the occasional (distant) lighting put a stop to the land based activities.  The Scuba Certification crew moved from the (old) pool back to the classroom.  The Coral Reef Sailing crews that were on shore leave had to move from small sailboats and paddle boards to activities under the dorms.  (I suspect it was a banner sales day in the snack bar.)  By dinner it was still overcast but the rain and lightning were long gone and activities returned to normal.


We have a higher than usual chance of rain for the next two days.



Today’s forecast calls for “occasional sun” but our UV index is still “very high”.  We had breezy conditions and some light rain overnight at the Florida Sea Base.  The rain is to our SW this morning and it looks like Munson Island (home of the Out Island adventure) and the Brinton Environmental Center are getting quite a bit of rain.

Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 5.28.25


The 2014 National Camp Accreditation Program inspectors arrive at the Florida Sea Base today.  Tomorrow is the big inspection day.  I have been so overwhelmed that I do not feel the least bit prepared.  But I have been through this 15 times and an optimistic that we will survive.  I may not have time to post tomorrow morning and almost certainly won’t have time Friday morning.


I had 116 emails yesterday regarding participants with scuba medical issues.  In the morning I conducted scuba reviews with three new dive staff that had arrived the day before.  Half of the afternoon was spent checking in new crews that were arriving (in the rain) to start their Florida Sea Base adventure.  I dedicated four hours to responding to emails.  I finally gave up at 7:00 pm and I was no where near finished with all of the emails.  (12 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week is about all I can handle in my old age.)  The count will climb today as they come in faster than I can respond and I will be with the inspectors all day Thursday and half of Friday.  If you are waiting on a response from me, I am trying very hard.

Capt. Steve Willis
Professional Scuba Bum™
Aboard S/V Escape

Leave a Reply